Many API operations define an
overrides parameter that controls whether the response includes only overrides that are configured on the targeted resource (overrides = true), or includes all effective properties — both overrides and property values that the resource inherits (overrides = false).
For example, the Describe a Policy operation of the policies endpoint returns a policy object for a specific policy on Deep Security Manager. This endpoint defines an
overrides parameter that determines which property values are returned for the targeted policy:
- overrides = false: The returned policy object includes the property values that are inherited from the parent policy, as well as the property values that the policy overrides.
- overrides = true: The returned policy object includes only the properties that the policy overrides.
For operations that create or modify a resource, the
overrides parameter applies to the created or modified object that the response contains. For example, you use the Create a Policy operation to create a policy that has the Base Policy as the parent, and turns on the Application Control module:
- overrides = false: The response includes a policy object that has all of the property values of the Base Policy policy, as well as the Application Control status value of on.
- overrides = true: The response includes a policy object that includes only the Application Control status value of on.
For operations that search or list resources, the
overrides parameter determines which resources are returned, as well as which property values are included. For example, the List Intrusion Prevention Rule IDs operation of the policies endpoint defines an
- overrides = false: The returned list includes all Intrusion Prevention rules that are assigned to the targeted policy and the parent policy. All rule properties are included.
- overrides = true: The returned list includes only the rules that have properties that are overridden in the targeted policy. Furthermore, the rules only include the properties that are overridden.
For an example of seeing overrides, see Example: Get the overrides for a computer.